You are at right place if you have any of below questions:
- How to setup Software Licensing correct way?
- Software Licensing – Parsing readme.txt files in WordPress Plugins
- Software Licensing – Usage Instructions
Setup Software Licensingfor WordPress and Easy Digital Downloads
- How to Add Software Licensing to your Plugin Using Easy Digital Downloads
- Helpful tips and troubleshooting techniques for Easy Digital Downloads
Recently during update I noticed that during plugin update process, which I clicked on plugin updated link, I noticed some error.
The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please contact your administrator for assistance with investigating this issue further.
Upon further investigation, I noticed that the readme.txt file is had some trouble and it was missing few tags. Unfortunately, EDD (Easy Digital Download) isn’t handling missing readme.txt WordPress Tags correctly.
In my case, I was missing
As you see after I added above Donate Link into readme.txt file update plugin popup screen started working.
I would suggest to checkout your readme.txt file and make sure it’s correct.
Here is what I’ve setup at my end. Software Licensing Options:
- Go to Downloads
- Software Licensing
- Click checkbox for: Check this box if you are selling WordPress plugins and wish to enable advanced ReadMe.txt file parsing.
- Go to you Downloads
- Edit your Download
- Go to section download and provide readme.txt file location. Make sure you have hosted your readme.txt file on public repository.
You could use our file as a reference if you want:
File location: https://github.com/Crunchify/crunchify-sharing-public/blob/main/crunchy-sharing-readme.txt
Make sure to check:
- Tested Up To (WordPress Version)
- Stable Tag
And that’s it. Save your Digital Download. Wait for few minutes and clear your cache.
Try upgrading your plugin and click on popup. You shouldn’t see
The site is experiencing technical difficulties error message now.
Let me know if you are still facing this issue.